Monday, October 5, 2015

Tips for struggling runners


After heavy consideration, I realize that most of you have come here to figure out how to get past any sort of "runner's block" you might be having just like me. And all that I've done is complain all woe-is-me and focus on the negative side to every issue when there are still people on the team who cannot run as well as me. This whole idea is not about me, and if I stated otherwise it would make me a narcissist. I know that I cannot be the only one going through some struggle and I have decided to, as a public service to you runners in need, go over some instruction about how to deal with your own physical and mental issues.
1. Focus On You
Stop worrying about all of the people having an easier time than you and thinking they judge you for your performance. Do not dwell on other teammate's faster times than yours and how they get greater recognition even if you "know for sure" that they do not work as hard at it as you do. Chances are, they are only worried about themselves and there own running and do not stress over those who struggle. Focus on running the way you want to in a way that makes you feel comfortable; and if you can't keep up with the others, at least stop comparing yourself to them.
2. Remain Positive
I know how cliche it sounds and I know for sure that it is definitely easier said than done. However, regardless of how you are feeling, you must find it in yourself to believe that this will not be forever; that there is always the chance to make a comeback, possibly even sudden. After all, when your desperate as I am, you'll try anything. Experiment with a recommended diet, spend more time working out rather than running, and even take a short break from the sport if you really feel you have to. But before trying these methods, consult your coach about how you are feeling and ask what s/he recommends.
3. Set reasonable boundaries and goals
If you are having as serious trouble with your running as I am, unfortunately, this means you'll have to lower your expectations and standards. If you are going to attempt at a race during your struggle, do not beat yourself down if your time is significantly slower than previously or even if you have to drop out. Don't expect to come right back even if you start to feel better; every great thing takes time. If you plan to still come to practice every day and do all of the same things that you could once power through,  you should not think that you will feel the same if you try it today. Shorten your longer distance runs and slow time your expected time for tempo-runs and sprint drills.

Obviously I cannot say that these tips will necessarily help most of you (your condition may not be something mental); these tips come straight from me and they are my best attempt to help those of you with mental blocks. Running is not for everyone, but if you can follow these steps (or even look online for more), I can't say that easier workouts combined with positive self-reinforcement can further damage your running experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment