Thursday, October 29, 2015

Upcoming DCL All-league 5k

Tomorrow marks the 2015 DCL Championship meet at Franklin Park, Boston and also marks my last ever race on the Franklin Park course. I am going to be crystal clear: I do not like Franklin Park; I despise its sharp turns, hard gravel paths that wear down your spikes and impossibly long and steep uphills. What really sucks is that this is coming less than a week after Barnstable, the fastest course in the DCL and possibly in New England. I would have rather had it vice versa so I could start off with a bad race but finish with a good one. Even during our meeting after practice yesterday, my coach stated, "We're not going to kid anybody; your time will be slower than on Saturday." The more annoying thing is that the race is on the same day as Halloween at school. Because it is a relatively early meet, me and the rest of the tea are being dismissed at 12:30, but the halloween assembly starts at 2:15. I was being "PC Principal" from Comedy Central's South Park and had been working on my impression for almost 3 weeks. But let's get back to running. As you've read I had already ran this course twice this season alone. My first meet this season where I embarrassingly ran a 12:03 2-mile and the race last Tuesday where I ran an 18:18 because it just was not my day (my best time at Franklin was an 18:02). I'm at least hoping that other runners have the problem that I do: Inconsistency in race performance. One race I'll feel great and run a great time, other times I will not feel good at all and end up running like s@#t. But I have yet to break 18 minutes on this course, and my parents (my dad especially) are begging that this be the day to do it, because I will have no more races there and do not want to miss my last chance.
I will have to pack an extra set of running clothes to change out of my PC Principal outfit, I will hydrate like crazy, and keep up my appetite. I will just try my best and do what I did on Saturday: Go out at a good pace the first mile, settle in and relax the second (with the huge hill), and then speed up the third and go all out down that last straightaway. It is not an easy course, but I will give it my all and do what I can. If I don't meet my parents expectations but I still feel good about it, then they can shove it. (Just kidding I love you mom&dad please don't kill me!).

No comments:

Post a Comment